Wednesday 23 July 2008

Vacant Lot


The developer of the Pleasurama site has announced that work will not begin on the site until the end of the summer holidays, on the 15th of this month I emailed the most likely councillors asking if we could have the site used for some sort of leisure purpose or even a car park for the summer season. Something I have done every year since the plans were passed to build on it.

Only once out of all the years the site has been empty have I been successful, due mainly to the cooperation of David Green and Roger Latchford, which shows that when the party differences that are pretty much pointless at a local level are dropped real benefits for Thanet can be achieved.

I also wrote to the chief executive on the 11th of this month saying.

“It would also be highly beneficial to the town and the councils credibility here if the site was used for a leisure purpose or even a car park until work begins, as the developer appears to have engaged in none of the promised consultation here in Ramsgate, we are all unaware of what the timescale is likely to be, have you any ideas on this one?”

None of them has actually replied to me so of course I can’t tell if these are diligent people beavering away for our benefit or if I’m just being ignored. As is so often the case with TDC they seem to have very poor PR and communications.

Once again it’s a case of Ramsgate asking for a small slice of the cake, however this year with so many people holidaying in British resorts, for Ramsgate’s main leisure site to be a deserted building site instead of a leisure site is appalling.

The pictures are from two stages of the Pleasurama plans and show the architects attempts to fit a five story building into a space only large enough for a four story building. Rather like the ugly sisters trying to fit Cinderella’s glass slipper on by cutting of their toes, in the first picture you will see that lowering the ceiling has resulted in the top of the lorry being shown ghosting through the concrete. In the second picture the architect has resolved this issue by using a shorter lorry, yep the same architects being used for China Gateway, the same mentality that digs the toilet near the well? Click here to enlarge the pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.