Sunday 3 August 2008

Local and National Government is There a Credible Alternative?

With an air of disillusionment hanging over us both by Labour supporters and MPs in the national cabinet and something fairly similar among Conservatives locally, assuming we don’t get an election in the short term and therefore retain the same parties but possibly not the same leaders I thought it interesting to speculate on who would be the best people to lead us.

As I have said in a previous post I think an elected mayor of Thanet is our best hope in the medium term click here to read it

I am also beginning to wonder if a prime minister elected by the people rather than a political party wouldn’t be better for us as a country.

Having written to the two most senior Conservative councillors recently about the Pleasurama sites temporary use for the summer, something that would greatly benefit Ramsgate and cost virtually nothing I found neither of them could be bothered to reply to me, these people what can one say?

However the question is were you in a position to choose a new leader from the Labour MPs or Conservative councillors who would it be?

3 comments:

  1. Michael, I still have faith in Gordon Brown but my favourite MP is Jack Straw.
    As for the local Tories, this is a bit of poser being a labour supportor. Considering they are all Tories anyway I can make my decision on the strength of the character and political conviction, that would be Martin Wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it that compels councilors (on the whole) to rudely ignore everyone? That sort of behaviour really winds me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris Wells - he's big and chubby and a real bear.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.