Friday 15 August 2008

A Strange Tale of Coffins and Bird Skulls

A Strange Tale of Coffins and Bird Skulls

As most people will know Ramsgate has many tunnels and caves and as the publisher of a book about the main Ramsgate tunnel system, I occasionally come across snippets about the history of some of them.

This is the most bizarre yet, told to me by an eighty year old man who has lived in Ramsgate all his life, in 1938 when he was ten years old a time when the county was preparing for war and adult eyes were averted, a favourite haunt of local boys was the tunnels under the cemetery.

He described three large arches running far under the cemetery with a network of smaller tunnels and rooms, in places coffins had fallen through the ceiling from the cemetery above.

The greatest attraction to the boys was the bird room, by crawling under a very low part with a candle it was possible to get into a room where there were a lot of small square recesses cut into the wall, in each one was a birds skull

4 comments:

  1. Sounds to me rather like the chalk adits/caves in Hollicondaine Chalk Pit in College Road....

    ReplyDelete
  2. 17.16 are they still there and is there any access to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been a long time since I biked around the area but there were a couple of cottages in teh chalk pit about 10 years ago.

    There are also 'bellpits' marked on old maps which are chalkmines with shafts to the surface..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember (a few years ago.....) walking from the tunnel near Dumpton Park train station all the way to the other end which came out near the old Pleasurama site. Great fun for kids !!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.