Saturday 22 November 2008

Library Update

Some of you may remember that I had some difficulties photographing Ramsgate Library, it was one of the most curious run-ins with our local government I have had to date click here to see what I mean.

Jocelyn McCarthy was in the shop this morning, bringing back some local history books that he had had on a sale or return basis to sell to people at a meeting to raise money, I managed to get his library update pamphlet and permission to publish it on the web, text below click here for the pictures scanned from the pamphlet.

Just a reminder and some information about our Library. Unfortunately our membership has depleted due to non-renewal of former members and I am pleading to unpaid members to rejoin us to ensure that The Friends of Ramsgate Library remains a viable entity.

Our Library will be handed over to KCC on the 1st December 2008 and it is hoped that the stocking out will take approximately four weeks so that by the first week February 2009 it will be open to the public followed by a grand opening in February.

I had a site visit a few weeks ago and I was greatly impressed by the amount of space there is.
I truly believe that we will have a Library fit for the 21st century — with three staircases, a lift, seating area with a drinks machine and central glass roof.

Our window will he installed on the 1 7th November and we are hoping to have a special dedication for the window and this will be discussed at our AGM on the 20th of November, at 7.3Opm at the Media Center, Cavendish Street, (The Old Church), for which I hope we will receive a good turn out!

The money raised for the window at present is £10K but we are still in need of some more donations and it is also hoped that we would be able to donate a few benches for the garden. If any member wishes to donate a bench in memory of a loved one this would be greatly received.

Unfortunately some of our members have the idea that after the Library is completed the Friends of Ramsgate Library will no longer continue. I would like to inform you that this is not so and that we made a promise in our constitution to continue to help in anyway we can to raise money by holding fundraising events for the library.

I hope to see you all on the 20th November.

Jocelyn McCarthy

Chairperson, Friends of Ramsgate Library

3 comments:

  1. Why do we need a library??? Most of Ramsgate cannot read

    ReplyDelete
  2. one further problem we might have - big jets flying overhead at a few hundred feet every few minutes for 18 hours a day doesn't make for a peaceful reading environment, or any environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 16.43 As I make my living selling books in Ramsgate I am not sure you are right.

    Steve I agree not a happy thought, I really don’t think the airport expansion has been properly thought out, we seem to be waving a flag saying bring your pollution to Thanet.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.