Friday 7 November 2008

Local historian makes up history he doesn’t know

I have been writing the introduction to The Hermit of Dumpton Cave and entered into one of those cans of worms that seems confront any local antiquary most every day.

The copy of the original book that I own, once belonged to a very well known local historian (I wont name and shame him) and has his notes inside, he says it was written by A. J. Valpy.

It is a difficult book to find out much about, it doesn’t appear in Bibliotheca Cantiana, anyway the British Library Catalogue ascribes it to Elizabeth Strutt [other married name Byron], (fl. 1805–1863), one of the nineteenth century's most prolific women of letters.

Having cross referenced this with The Dictionary of National Biography I am now certain that she is the author, however The Dictionary of National Biography calls the Hermit of Dumpton Cave Joseph Groome Peptit, his name was actually Joseph Croom Petit.

The picture of Lillian Road Cookery School that turned up today Says St Lukes Thornton road about 1922 on the back click here to enlarge it

2 comments:

  1. Michael, similar problems have happened in Margate with people making up History, or should I say making something up to link one local historical fact to another.
    The Margate Historical Society conducting proper research have over the past few years have quashed many local myths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well research into a house at Gladstone Road Broadstairs might be meritted. A builder (Blackburns Funeral service is from the same family I think) reported finding a big radio transmitter in the attic.

    MI5 came to Thanet to investigate.

    The builder had been put on to the work at that address by the Kingsgate doctor Nazi racial theorist man (Name escapes me. It appears that the builder was not intended to visit the attic.

    And the Werner Bartells, Margate College Old boy, Luftwaffe ditching incident at Kingsgate would definitely merit some expert research ?

    You could ask the MHS if the signed account of Dunkirk evacuation of a survivor, that I entrusted to them, has been found.

    It described a truly selfless act of heroism by a boy seaman known only unto God. As the ship sank a middle aged soldier (whose account it is) went to sea with no lifejacket. A boy seaman swam to him and gave him his lifejacket and swam off announcing he would be OK he was a strong swimmer.

    Sebag Montefiore wanted it for his recent book on Dunkirk and it was lost.

    But what a story to ponder as we are in Poppy Day time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.