Sunday 23 November 2008

Sunday morning reflections

We have a great many sparrows in our garden and there was quite a kafuffle this morning when a sparrow hawk turned up for its breakfast, I didn’t really see what happened but I think it must have got at least one, as we peered out of the window awaiting events the whole scene changed it started to snow and a robin turned up.

It’s been an odd sort of week in terms of bookshop business, a mixture of panic caused by the recession on the one hand and having bought some particularly good review copies and bankrupt book stock on the other.

With an overall shop stock of about 30,000 books it is fairly difficult to make much of an impact on the stock, right across the shop, but this batch has.

It’s very helpful to have a lot of obviously brand new books at secondhand prices with the recession and Christmas coming up.

Then there is the business of the museum closures, with The Maritime Museum we are fast approaching the deadline for the public consultation on the use of the building, if you would like to see it continue to be used as a museum please send an email to that effect to hannah.thorpe@thanet.gov.uk word is that the trustees forgot to renew the lease and that has caused the problem.

It would seem to me that The East Kent Maritime Trust don’t seem to have been particularly good at looking after the vessels in their care, one historic fishing vessel left to rot, chopped up and disposed of, another historic vessel seemingly abandoned and left high and dry for the elements to finish off and the last ocean going steam tug left to rust away.

I also noticed this little gem about the damage done to Margate Library, a lot of my customers use Margate Library and much of what they have to say about Thanet Gateway is unprintable.

Thanet Gateway Plus is one of five projects shortlisted in the efficiency and modernisation category of the prestigious Local Government Chronicle Awards, which recognises the best in UK local government.

Click here to read the press release about it

Click here for more pictures of Ramsgate Harbour

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.