Monday 16 March 2009

Back to the Future – Destination History

Laura Sandys press release,

Last week we launched Destination History, an important initiative to place history at the heart of our non-seasonal marketing for visitors to Thanet and Sandwich. With over 40 organisations, tourist businesses and event organisers attending, the determination and passion to further promote and enhance our unique history in Thanet and Sandwich turned into some very positive action points that the group is going to take forward.

“I have always been amazed at the wonderful architecture, the history around every corner, our wars and our invasions. We have truly been at the front line of our country’s history – and we have a great story to tell visitors – whatever era or theme of history that they are interested in. This initiative will pull together all the groups that already do so much to promote our history and we were very pleased that Visit Thanet and Visit Kent will work with us to achieve our goals.

If we can attract an increase in non-seasonal visitors who are higher margin we will be able to create jobs in our low season, keep our local businesses working throughout the year and encourage more people to use our historic assets as part of our economic development.”
We will be developing historic maps, website pdf for people to upload to their sites, marketing ideas and some tourist packages. Visit Thanet will also be developing a website presence to promote our historical package.

If anyone would like to be put on our Destination History emailing list then please do contact me at laura@sandys.org.uk and I will keep you up to date with meetings and actions that we are taking to place our past at the heart of our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.