Tuesday 17 March 2009

HELP OUT WITH COASTLINE SPRING CLEAN

Thanet district Council press release

Local people can clean up the Thanet coastline with a series of volunteering activities from the Thanet Coast Project.

Spring beach cleans are taking place later this month (March), with sessions taking place at Plumpudding, Minnis Bay between 10am and 1pm on Saturday 28 March and at Pegwell Bay at the same times on Sunday 29 March.

Ramsgate's wild Sea Garden is also the focus for a spring clean with a session planned on Saturday 4 April between 10am and 1pm with artist Ruth Cutler. Spring planting and maintenance will be carried out at the garden, which is next to the promenade car park, at the north end of the road leading down below the Granville Theatre. Help is needed with hoeing, weeding, collecting litter, constructing flint and chalk designs and planting.

Naomi Biggs, Thanet Coast Project Education Officer, said: "These sessions provide a great opportunity to help clean up our beautiful coastline after the ravages of winter. Our beaches could do with extra pairs of hands to help clear away rubbish that's been washed up over the last few months and our Sea Garden needs work to get it ready for spring visitors. We really value the work of our volunteers and we'd be lost without their help. We know, from their feedback, that they get a lot from volunteering."

Gloves and bags are provided, along with refreshments, which Tesco is supplying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.