Saturday 28 March 2009

SUCCESS FOR BIKE CRACKDOWN

Thanet district Council press release

There's been success for a community safety campaign in Cliftonville, which has been cracking down on riding bikes on the pavement, as it is illegal and dangerous.

Five Fixed Penalty Notices were handed out to people seen cycling on the pavement during the "You Wheel Be Fined" campaign. In addition, another 20 warnings were issued to other people.

The campaign was produced by the Thanet Community Safety Partnership's Cliftonville Task and Finish Group. The group, made up of a number of different organisations, works to reduce crime in the area and tackle the issues that have been identified there.

Feedback from local people through the PACT (partners and communities together) panels and street briefings highlighted cycling on pavements as an issue that needed to be addressed. As a result, new posters were distributed to shops in Northdown Road and the surrounding areas, with the slogan "ride on the pavement. you wheel be fined".

During the campaign, five Fixed Penalty Notices were also handed out to people who failed to pick up after their dogs, while two Fixed Penalty Notices were handed out for littering.

Although the campaign was focused in Cliftonville, it has now been extended throughout Thanet. It is illegal to cycle on the pavements anywhere in Thanet and anyone seen littering or failing to pick up after their dog fouls may be handed a Fixed Penalty Notice.

To find out more, call the Thanet Community Safety Partnership on 01843 577608

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.