Tuesday 19 May 2009

CLIFTONVILLE FIRE LATEST

Thanet district Council press release,

A set of terraced buildings, badly damaged by fire in Cliftonville, have been made safe, but road closures in the area are set to remain in place until tomorrow. (Wednesday 20 May).

The fire, at properties in Northdown Road, broke out late on Saturday night with 80 firefighters tackling it throughout Sunday and into Monday.

The council's building control team have been on site since then. Today (Tuesday 19 May), work to put additional scaffolding in place around the building has been completed, with the building made safe.

Nearby businesses, which were not affected by the fire, have now been able to re-open, but Northdown Road remains closed between Prices Avenue and Crawford Gardens.

It had been hoped to re-open the road by midday today (Tuesday 19 May), but this has not proved possible. Work is continuing and it is hoped that the road will re-open by early tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday 20 May).

The cause of the fire is not yet known and is under investigation. Anyone with any information about the fire can contact Margate police station on 01843 231055 or talk to one of the police's Cliftonville neighbourhood officers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.