Monday 20 July 2009

Good Graffiti and bad Graffiti at the Vue Cinema, fragments of Haine Hospital.

One somewhat unusual source for the historian is graffiti in this particular case at the Vue Cinema at Westwood Cross once the site of a hospital.

This hospital founded in 1902 operated under various names:

Isle of Thanet Joint Isolation Hospital (1902-1948)
Ramsgate Infectious Diseases Hospital (1902 - 1948)
Isolation Hospital, Haine (1948 - c.1955)

All that remains of the hospital now is part of the wall that formed the entrance gateway and inscribed into some of the brick is the graffiti of soldiers who were patients there during both world wars.

The worry now is that this may be obliterated by modern graffiti iscribed into the bricks by people waiting for films.

The customer of mine who voiced his concerns about this gave me these photographs of the names inscribe into the bricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.