Saturday 3 April 2010

Ramsgate food for thought

A busy day in the bookshop today, once again Ramsgate is becoming a destination for Londoners and this seems to be to do with the diversity and quality of the Restaurants and the new café culture. Virtually every week there is something in the national press, this is the most recent I could find from Country Life http://www.countrylife.co.uk/blogs/article/448999/Town-mouse-on-Ramsgate-London.html for the most part these Londoners seem to come down, as they have since about 1800, to recover from life in the capital and most of them seem to enjoy what they find here.

The secondhand book world is inclined to bring up peculiar historical anomalies, the book pictured above, was published in 1942 while we were fighting a war and it does indeed seem to explain in great detail how anyone can make explosives out of common ingredients.

It says inside “FOR THE FORCES. Leave this book at a Post Office when you have read it so that the men and women in the Services may enjoy it too.”

One is reminded that we are fighting a war at the moment and building a whole new set of historical anomalies.

Delving through news about Kent on the internet I noticed that much is being made of the differences in reporting a sex attack in Aylesford with some speculation that the BBC is taking an extreme slant towards multiculturalism, here is the BBC article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8600907.stm and here same thing as reported by the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262984/Teenage-Afghan-asylum-seekers-pool-sex-attack-girl-13.html various other media sources are reporting it with slight variations. The Daly Mail article was the most detailed I could find.

Both of these anomalies made me wonder if we are a somewhat gullible people and if we are how I feel about the idea.

Another bit of local news is that John Kampfner http://www.jkampfner.net/index.html is the new head of the Turner Contemporary, I have great hopes that he will improve the situation there.

Oh and Katherine Kerswell has been confirmed as the new chief of KCC on four thousand pounds a week see http://thanetonline.blogspot.com/2010/03/female-4k-for-kent-county-council.html nice work if you can get it.

I will may ramble on depending on how busy the shop is.

4 comments:

  1. I'll have a copy of the book please Michael to booby trap my Easter eggs from the kids. Drastic I know but I dont get out much nowadays

    ReplyDelete
  2. When 20+ 'asylum seekers' masquerading as 16/17 year olds are placed in local schools, is there not a child protection issue involved?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see a busy Ramsgate on Saturday, but with the car parks full, wardens checking displayed tickets, and cars waiting to pay to park...I wonder where they can go to ensure a space and for free(oh dear).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Don I am keeping it for my own library, there are plenty of copies available on Amazon though.

    23.57 It certainly raises a few difficult issues.

    22.13 It’s mostly down to all of the on street parking that has been removed in the town centre, probably down to elf and safety, but the biggest problem for those of us actually trying to trade in town

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.