Wednesday, 4 August 2010

The Granville Illustrated news for 1879

I am working on copying this publication for reprint at the moment and would like a bit of help if anyone can.

The copy I am working from has some bits missing, not very much and if I have to I will, do my best to fill it in.
It has occurred to me however that someone else may have a copy and therefore know what is missing.
The largest bit missing is in the third column of the page above about a third of the way down.

The original images are very large indeed and I am not quite certain what blogger will make of them, usually clicking on the image and then clicking on it again once it has opened gives the best enlargement.
As is sometimes the case I am working from a copy and not a very good one and I suspect the original was lost in Ramsgate Library fire.

This is issue one of this publication and I can’t find any reference to subsequent issues, I would also be interested in any reference to subsequent issues.
A sizable proportion of this publication is devoted to Westgate on Sea, more to come of this soon if this bit works OK.

















2 comments:

  1. Anonymous GeraldAugust 05, 2010 4:59 pm

    That's what the Marina Theatre ala Neros originally looked like inside?! It's incredible, puts even more shame to you know who for pulling it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the original page.

    Ben Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Please note comments that may be libellous, comments that may be construed as offensive, anonymous derogatory comments about real people, comments baiting internet trolls, comments saying that an anonymous comment was made by a named real person, boring comments and spam comments, comments in CAPs will be deleted. Playground stuff like calling real people by their time stamp or surname alone, referring to groups as gangs, old duffers and so on will result in deletion. Comment that may be construed as offensive to minority groups is not allowed here either, so think before you write it, remember that the internet is a public place, that it is very difficult to be truly anonymous and that everyone who uses it leaves a trail of some sort. Also note the facility to leave anonymous comment will be turned of during periods when I am unable to monitor comment, this will not affect people commenting who are signed on to their blogger accounts. When things are particularly difficult on the commercial spam front I may turn comment moderation on for periods.

If you feel that someone has left a comment that is offensive and directed at you personally please email me (link on the sidebar) asking to have it removed, you will need to tell which post and the date and timestamp of the offending comment. Please do not reply to the offending comment as I will assume you continuing the dialogue as meaning that you want the comments left there.