Wednesday 29 August 2012

Thanet District Council and the Heritage Open Days, a good chance to experience vertigo.


Every year at the beginning of September some local historic buildings are open to the public for free and every year I seem to have problems with the council and the various websites promoting this.

I have tried to pre-empt the problem this year by phoning up the council officer in charge of promoting this and hopefully we will get a complete list published on the council’s tourism website.

Having given up trying to find some of the buildings I expected or knew to be taking part I phoned the council’s last remaining council run tourist information office, this is in the Droit House in Margate.

I have had strong words with council today about what happens when you dial their number, so I am hoping for a change, here is the number 01843 577577 having listened to the usual load of twaddle, you are then asked to press 1, 2, 3 and so on, where in most cases you get another series of twaddle followed by the thing hanging up on you. Pressing option one or six gets you through to a human being at the time of writing.

As an adept at using the Visit Thanet website, this is what I can find there at the moment.

·                                 Open Days at Pugin's Grange

Sat 8 Sep 2012



Heritage Open Days at St George's Church


·                                


Heritage Open Weekend at Quex Park


·                                


Flower Festival at St Laurence Church


·                                


Heritage Open Days at St George's Church


·                                

        

Tue 11 Sep 2012

·                                 Open Days at Pugin's Grange
·                                  

The main opening that I know of that isn’t mentioned is Sunday 9th. September 2012 the Montefiore Synagogue and Mausoleum Open from 9.30am to 2.00pm.

No council owned buildings seem to be taking part in this international event, I guess many of the major council owned public buildings in Ramsgate are derelict and would require hard hats, this does make you wonder about the others in the rest of Thanet, Northdown House and the Tudor House spring to mind.

Next the vertigo part and what historic buildings you can visit for nothing.

At Quex Park Birchington you can visit The Round Tower, not sure if you can go far enough up this to experience vertigo.

At St Laurence Church you can go up the tower.

At The Grange you can go up the tower.

The high point though is going up the tower of St Georges Church in Ramsgate.

Here are the pictures from last year.




http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/rsgct/id5.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.