Sunday 22 June 2014

Watercolour sketch of Minnis Bay looking towards Reculver Towers today


This watercolour painting of Minnis Bay had a few snags, I think I am beginning to master the sky and the sea but have a long way to go with countryside, I think the Japanese artists call this bushido or something, it is a marshal art I have jet to master, I expect you are supposed to hit the paper with a wet rice flail or something.

The small cloud, top left is actually where I put my thumb when I picked the thing up.


No thumb print at this point.


I think it took about an hour to paint, fortunately I had my 99p blow up cushion.


As you see I started by paint the bit I can paint and then went on to paint the bits I can’t, which frankly I the best art lesson advice I could give anyone.


This is a photo taken from the same point, which should show how things really looked, but doesn’t either. 
My wife put the picture in a frame that was lying about and strangely some of the bits that looked good before framing now look bad and some of the bits that looked bad now look good.

2 comments:

  1. well done Michael I like that the cloud is good as well.






































































































































































































































































































































































    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strewth Don, what’s with the big blank bit in the comment? Strange one, the cloud as it looks like I remember it but not like it is in the photo.

      Delete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.