Thursday 24 July 2014

A few sketches of Margate today and the finalists and winners of this year's art competition for Kent students and teachers at Turner Contemporary

 This is from outside Cupcake, the scale and position of the lamp on left went wrong.
 This is a very fast rough from the new sea defence steps
This is the next attempt from the same place, very difficult to draw the sloping rosfs of Turner Contemporary from this viewpoint.
This is from outside Cafe G

I didn't get time to finish any of the sketches apart from the rough, days off during the school holidays can be fairly demanding.

Here are the photos of the work of finalists and winners of this year's art competition for Kent students and teachers at Turner Contemporary












Outside the gallery they appear to be building a large Wendy House out of MDF





Also unfortunately two arts closures in Margate, the first being the gallery "outside The Square" which was one of my favorites thed the other being the Thanet Council owned "Margate Media Centre"








3 comments:

  1. I was contacted yesterday by a Community Interest Company operating out of the Margate Media Centre. I accepted their invitation to promote a lgtbq BBQ event which I will be posting next weekend.

    I got the impression TDC were looking at getting the community/voluntary sector to take the facility over? One of the issues holding back the development of lgbt and related groups is the lack of an address to operate from - I mean who really wants to put their home address on headed notepaper given the abuse you can still experience out there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you asked John Worrow? His address is already known publicly (via TDC's website), so perhaps he won't mind.

    Not sure how an exclusively LGBT can work though. Do you have to provide some sort of proof that you're not heterosexual to join?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no point meeting with Cllr Worrow unless he can demonstrate his grasp of other issues brought to his attention several years ago and show an appetite to resolve them

    the BBQ event, you will discover, will have the dual purpose of tackling the effects of stigma and promoting leisure activites, which will have a positive impact on local business and therefore society in general. The "Q" stands for "Questioning", so I guess anyone with questions can ask to go on the guest list. So maybe see you there Peter?

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.