Sunday 22 November 2015

Canterbury Cathedral Watercolour Painting, spot the difference and paining people’s faces small enough to fit into watercolour paintings.

I didn’t get as much time in Canterbury today as I would have liked, we didn’t get there until about 1 o’clock and by 3.30 the light inside the café wasn’t really strong enough to see what I was putting on the paper properly.

I rather like the concept behind this picture, which was to draw a very loose sketch and then put the detail on it afterwards.

Anyway here are the before and after pictures of the watercolour of Canterbury Cathedral from The Chocolate Café in Canterbury today.

The business of painting people is much more difficult than the business of painting buildings, unless of course you are happy painting from a photograph, which I am not and painting people’s faces in a fairly small size, using watercolour is tricky.



Anyway I wound up doing this pretty much in the dark, so the likenesses could be better, I could see the people I was painting properly, but not the paper well enough to distinguish colours. Hence the porcelain doll problem, I just couldn't distinguish a pale flesh wash from plain water.

It got progressively darker from left to right with the one on the furthest to the right I could't see much in the way of shades at all 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.