Monday 1 February 2016

Ramsgate Slipways Development update


First my email to TDC in blue and the reply in red

To customer.services customer.services@thanet.gov.uk, cllr-chris.wells cllr-chris.wells@thanet.gov.uk, cllr-iris.johnston cllr-iris.johnston@thanet.gov.uk, cllr-robert.bayford cllr-robert.bayford@thanet.gov.uk

Hi I have looked at the new planning application for the Hornby Visitor Centre on the slipways in Ramsgate and while I am happy with the development there and don’t wish to object to it I can’t find any sign of replacement buildings to operate the slipways on the plans.

Could you please tell me the following.

1 Will the temporary building housing the slipways workshop be replaced with something and if so what?

2 Where will the offices for the slipways boat repair business be?

3 Will all of the replacement buildings the be of the same spec building materials design and so on as the new visitor centre?   

Michael

Dear Mr. Child,

My practice submitted the visitor centre application at this important site and I have now received a request from the TDC caseofficer to respond directly to the queries you raise in your e mail dated 23 December 2015 ( you will see I have copied this e mail to Mrs Fibbens).  I welcome your general support to the scheme and hope the following information addresses the questions you have raised. 

The intention is for the extant permission which included the slipway building (restaurant), slipway office/commercial building and conversion of the existing winch room to a fish stall to remain 'live' through the current applications to discharge and vary the relevant conditions. They would be implemented in accordance with the specification as shown on the already approved plans & details.

Subject to the approval of the current conditions applications, the other elements I.e the slipway office/commercial building & winch room etc. would remain implementable through the existing extant permission. 

If approved, the proposed visitor centre building would essentially 'substitute' the permitted restaurant building. The current visitor centre application, once implemented, would in no way impede the functioning of slipways 1 or 3. 

Alternatively, the development of buildings and structures ancillary to the function of the working slipways may be the subject of future application(s) - however this currently falls outside the scope of the current visitor centre application.

I trust this clarifies the position.


Regards

Alister Hume

With this one my concern is that without any provision for workshops or offices related to the boat repair business on the slipways we we wind up without viable slipways.

There is a rumour that TDC intend to build some other boat repair facility on the other side of the harbour or in the port.

Post picture Ramsgate in 1791 click on it to expand it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.