Tuesday 29 March 2016

Ramsgate Sprint Revival Cancelled

The 2016 Ramsgate Sprint Revival, scheduled for 13-14 August, has been cancelled due to increased activity at the Port of Ramsgate. Following the success of new car imports and the possibility of additional port activity, Thanet District Council has been unable to guarantee use of the port for a pit area as in 2015.

Plans to run the event again in 2016 were shelved back in November 2015 when Thanet District Council confirmed land hire for Government Acre had been granted to a long standing event, Lark in the Park. Following intervention by the Leader of the Council, a meeting was arranged in February between organisers of Lark in the Park, Ramsgate Sprint Revival and TDC when agreement was reached for the two events to share Government Acre.

Just two weeks later it was confirmed that business at the Port of Ramsgate was increasing and it was not possible to guarantee space for a pit area for the sprint bikes and their support vehicles. Initially it was agreed with TDC that Military Road outside the port could be used for this purpose but subsequently sprint organisers were told that this could only be guaranteed at six weeks’ notice.

Organisers of Ramsgate Sprint Revival would like to apologise for any inconvenience which has been caused by this outcome. A spokesperson for the sprint said “We have worked hard behind the scenes for a bigger and better event in 2016 but without guaranteed space for the motorcycles we cannot go ahead. Obviously the port must take priority and if TDC requires the space we have to accept that.”

Pictures of last year’s sprint 

 

2 comments:

  1. And how big is the port land? Ridiculous I'm sure there could be room for both. TDC ruin everything! Makes me so angry! Grrrr

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how big is the port land? Ridiculous I'm sure there could be room for both. TDC ruin everything! Makes me so angry! Grrrr

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.