Saturday 14 May 2016

Broadstairs 1939 v 1947, problems drawing Herne Bay Bandstand, the Oxinden Monument in St Mary the Virgin Wingham and finally a bit more work on my latest Margate Watercolour Sketch.

Back in 2007 I managed to get the Broadstairs Holiday Guide for 1937 and of course I produced an inexpensive reprint of it so that everyone who wants to can enjoy it, here is the link, should you want to buy it http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/sunny_broadstairs.htm

On my bookbuying and sketching travels today I saw what I thought, inasmuch as the outside is identical, was another original copy of the same guide and bought it.

However it transpires that the one I bought today is the 1949 version of the guide and completely different on the inside.

Here are some pictures of the pages of the 1937 guide



and  next some from the 1949 guide.




On to Wingham and the church of St Mary the Virgin E parts last ¼ C13, W tower C14 plain pointed transept on imposts so around 1200, lightly restored by Ferrey 1874-5 well U2 can read about it and or form your own conclusions.

My visit today was to look at the Oxinden Monument, perhaps sketch it if possible – and it wasn’t as I couldn’t get far enough away from it with the light behind, but certainly get some photos of this black and white marble, free standing monument in the S transept. So just stock photos from my mobile phone, but more I surmise than you will find elsewhere. They will expand if you click on them - frantically? Perhaps. 



















A few pictures of the inside of the church












On to Herne Bay and lunch at The Bandstand Pavilion with some attempts to sketch it the hexagonal clerestory lights being the main impediment to the amateur watercolourist, so easy to photograph – oh well a bit more practice and I may pull it orf.




On to Margate and a bit more to my watercolour sketch from Turner Contemporary Café.  

Finally lots of books have gone out on the shelves over the last two days in my bookshop in Ramsgate over the last couple of days, see


and

http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/beautifully-bound-folio-society-books.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.