Saturday, 12 November 2016

The cowgirls and the great cowboy of Canterbury, painting the complicated ceiling at the cathedral, a watercolour in Chocolate Café and the inevitable old postcards of Ramsgate.

Around 50 years ago – have to appreciate I am not a local and my mum dfl’d to Ramsgate back then – I discovered the huge paintings of cows by Tom Sid Cooper the stately cowboy of Canters. To begin with I thought they were, what’s the word? Begins with R. Oh yes the pits. 

Anyway and I know this sounds stupid, when I was 16 I managed to escape from school and get a job as - for want of a better word - a scientist, in Canterbury and this meant I spent a lot of time there. This was the 60s so it think it reasonable to assume I have remembered this all wrong.


 Anyway one day when I was waiting around, probably for a computer to learn something I noticed this picture of Tom's tucked away in the corner, It's called "The Horse Thief" and somehow it manages to express something dodgy going on, not just in the man's expression but in the expression of the horse and the dog.  

Anyway the long and the sort of it was I had a closer look at Tom's pictures and found I suddenly liked his work a lot.
 This is a big picture of a cow
with this little picture in the corner.
big picture of cows
boats in the corner
same
cathedral and windmill if you look a bit more carefully 


anyway I saw this sign in Canterbury today and it reminded me to look at the cow pictures again.

On to the Cathedral
Paints and brushes balance on the next seat, the ceiling is a repetitive pattern which should be easy to remember during the instant between looking up at it and down on the paper, my brain, like a very old computer is having trouble learning.
  
I may add a bit more to today's attempt, my best shot so far

 Chocolate Cafe was very busy and I made do with the only seat I could get, the view from it was a bit restricted.

Here are the old pictures of Ramsgate





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note comments that may be libellous, comments that may be construed as offensive, anonymous derogatory comments about real people, comments baiting internet trolls, comments saying that an anonymous comment was made by a named real person, boring comments and spam comments, comments in CAPs will be deleted. Playground stuff like calling real people by their time stamp or surname alone, referring to groups as gangs, old duffers and so on will result in deletion. Comment that may be construed as offensive to minority groups is not allowed here either, so think before you write it, remember that the internet is a public place, that it is very difficult to be truly anonymous and that everyone who uses it leaves a trail of some sort. Also note the facility to leave anonymous comment will be turned of during periods when I am unable to monitor comment, this will not affect people commenting who are signed on to their blogger accounts. When things are particularly difficult on the commercial spam front I may turn comment moderation on for periods.

If you feel that someone has left a comment that is offensive and directed at you personally please email me (link on the sidebar) asking to have it removed, you will need to tell which post and the date and timestamp of the offending comment. Please do not reply to the offending comment as I will assume you continuing the dialogue as meaning that you want the comments left there.