Monday 9 January 2017

A question for local fishermen. What on earth in lives of smack boys and fishermen is bucketing?


I have been proof reading our reprint of “Smacks to Steamers: A History of the Ramsgate Fishing Industry 1850 – 1920” by Clive Powell, this was first published by Ramsgate Maritime Museum in the 1980s and the idea is to put it into a digital file so we can print it as one of our local history publications on behalf of the museum.

Back and forth between the internet and various nautical books in my bookshop tying to make sure that everything makes sense. A fairly demanding task and after a whole working day of it my mind is full of information about the history of our local fishing industry. 

This sentence however has defeated me:- “Fishing on a large scale was more economically viable, but the cost to men’s lives as the capacity of smacks increased along with the dangers of bucketting, also stresses the high social cost of nineteenth century fishing.”

Some of the works I have consulted are pretty obscure but no bucketting, so any thoughts on this one would be helpful. It’s either an error in the original text or relates to some aspect of sea fishing, probably trawling that I am not familiar with.



Update. I now have the solution to bucketting, having slept on it and considered it had to related one of the most dangerous aspects of commercial boat fishing, I reread the most likely parts of the book.

Bucketting is transferring the boxes of caught fish from one fishing smack to another, while at sea, using a rowing boat. This was done when the smacks stayed at sea and used one smack as a carrier to take the fish ashore to sell.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.