Wednesday 15 March 2017

Pictures of Thanet and Sarre Mill, Bacon in Kent, what more could you want? A picture of Ramsgate today.

Some Ramsgate and Broadstairs pictures and some of Sarre Mill, not strictly Thanet but something local I have watched go though through the process of dilapidation, restoration and now back again.
This is Ramsgate today
and this I suppose 100 years ago, give or take


I think these pictures date from 2011









































From the perspective of a secondhand bookseller – which in my case can be thought of as a book collector where book collecting got out of hand – and a collector of books relating to East Kent topography, you can tell a lot about other book collectors by how they say things.

Mispronunciation is something I often see as a good sign in people, as it generally means they have read the word but not heard it, so if you collect topography books do you say bi-decker or bay-decker.

One of Karl Ludwig Johannes Baedeker aspirants was George Washington Bacon, who having gone bust in the US of A became a successful mapmaker in London, but his guidebook to England and Wales isn’t very common.

Not good pictures, I will try harder another time, the Kent bit is – as you see too short.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.