Thursday 9 March 2017

Some Thanet pictures and a minor ramble

Here are the local pictures, all Thanet ones the I sell and have the 1822 map of Ramsgate on the wall in my bookshop and I think if you want to be able to read the street names on it you would need to come in and browse away at it as I can’t publish it big enough on the internet.










I went bookbuying in Herne Bay and Margate today, so a fair amount of new stock to put out including a fair amount of Kent topography books.

The picture of The New Baths at Margate id from Ireland, see http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/kent_s_topographer__a_new___complete_history_of_the_isle_of_thanet_from_the_earl.htm well worth a brows too.

Ireland is most famous for producing fake Shakespeares of his own authorship and trying to sell them for lage amounts of money. Known at the time as Shakespeare Ireland, his history of Kent was slated by the critics when first published. “Irelands history of Kent is a miserable performance, with pretensions to being a county history……….he does not appear to have visited the county…….” In those days before libel laws literary criticism was somewhat more robust than it is today

The Tenet [Thanet] picture was first published in Lewis also worth a browse http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/the_history_and_antiquities_as_well_ecclesiastical_as_civil_of_the_isle_of_tenet.htm but obviously dated from much earlier than the early 1700s.


I don’t think the others need an explanation but feel free to comment and I will endeavour to reply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.