Tuesday, 18 April 2017

Watercolour Painting inside Canterbury Cathedral: The Chancel

Here is my watercolour painting of the inside of the chancel at Canterbury Cathedral, so far.

This is a longish task as the view there is complicated, so first my thanks to all of the people who work in the cathedral for letting me paint there.


To do this I have been using my large A4 sketchbook opening to a double page which gives me an A3 sheet.

Something that interests me about this view is that I can’t really take a photo of it properly, I expect an expert photographer could.


For a reference photo which may help any aspiring art critics I have cobbled together some mobile phone photos that I took of different bits of the chancel.

So why this particular view? In the first instance I think this the type of view a visitor to the cathedral is most likely to get on turning up to a service there. For the most part services happen in the chancel with the congregation sitting facing sideways. The second part relates to the north chancel transept (bit on the left of picture with big round window), which is unusual as the stonework isn’t symmetrical in the way that the south transept is, which makes it more satisfying to me in some way I can’t quite define.

There seem to be very few paintings of the inside of Canterbury Cathedral on the internet, I don’t know if this is because there aren’t many or because I can’t find them so if you know of any please let me know.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note comments that may be libellous, comments that may be construed as offensive, anonymous derogatory comments about real people, comments baiting internet trolls, comments saying that an anonymous comment was made by a named real person, boring comments and spam comments, comments in CAPs will be deleted. Playground stuff like calling real people by their time stamp or surname alone, referring to groups as gangs, old duffers and so on will result in deletion. Comment that may be construed as offensive to minority groups is not allowed here either, so think before you write it, remember that the internet is a public place, that it is very difficult to be truly anonymous and that everyone who uses it leaves a trail of some sort. Also note the facility to leave anonymous comment will be turned of during periods when I am unable to monitor comment, this will not affect people commenting who are signed on to their blogger accounts. When things are particularly difficult on the commercial spam front I may turn comment moderation on for periods.

If you feel that someone has left a comment that is offensive and directed at you personally please email me (link on the sidebar) asking to have it removed, you will need to tell which post and the date and timestamp of the offending comment. Please do not reply to the offending comment as I will assume you continuing the dialogue as meaning that you want the comments left there.