Sunday 2 July 2017

A couple of days wandering about with camera and brush in Canterbury and Ramsgate, some sort of ramble about life, sexist signs art and photography.

If you are hoping for something useful and informative this will probably be the wrong post for you, so better stop before you start.

After a two week spate of moving around books in my bookshop, something that has to be done as life, leisure and reading weaves around changes in and brought about by technology, I gave myself a couple of days off.

On Saturday I took the bus to Canterbury, if I take the bus it means that I can’t really buy books for my bookshop, something I had done rather a lot of on Thursday. The bus takes about the same amount of time as the car and costs about the same as taking the car, unless of course you have some sort of free pass, in which case it doesn’t cost anything.

Here is the link to some of the Canterbury photos, yesterday and today http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/617/id17.htm  

on the painting front



I have this one from upstairs in Chocolate Cafe, which I did a bit to.

I have this recently started one from downstairs in Chocolate Cafe, which I did some more to.

Started sketching in another one

and went into the cathedral and did a bit more to this one which is nearly finished.

I suppose an obvious question would be, why not just take a photo, or take a photo and paint the picture from the photo at home.

 I think if you were a fish with bulging eyes you could possibly see something like this without moving either your head or you eyeball.

The Beaney is Canterbury's library art gallery and museum.
Eyeballing the Beaney, ars longa vita brevis, doesn’t actually mean, I have a long bottom so have sat down, but, art is long and life is short. So that's OK.

 and scientia veritatis imago, doesn't mean, imagine playing with matches, but, knowledge of the image, which I take to mean, learn about pictures, seems reasonable.
 For the education of working men, well this seems a bit dodgy to me. After all this building went up in around 1900 perhaps they thought it inadvisable to educate women. I should point out here that both of the statures above seem to be of people of the female persuasion, ars longa and scientia veritatis wiht the plate and the pot, perhaps they were washing up but it does look to me as thought they were doing the learning.

Here are the links to the Ramsgate photos http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/617/id16.htm and http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/617/id18.htm

For the dedicated bibliophiles, here are the pictures of the books that went out in the bookshop on Saturday http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/strange-encounters-in-bookshop.html  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.