Wednesday 19 July 2017

Collecting local guide books and starting with the Red Guides


So wot’s it worth, in this case one of the Thanet red guides, the same book sometimes being called Margate, Ramsgate or Broadstairs but not Thanet.


This one is the 7th edition which is thought to date from around 1922, a time when there wasn’t much between travelling to Thanet by boat or train.


What it’s worth is really related to where it is, most bookshops have a few of these usually priced between a couple quid and a fiver each and if they have the one local to their area then it’s probably around a tenner and I would think an astute person who reckoned the value of their time at less than the minimum wage could eventually get all of the ones the wanted for about the cost of posting them.

If you find yourself in a bookshop a long way from Thanet and you want one of these guides cheaply, best to ask. On the whole in terms of value for money they are pretty good.


So some sample maps and pages next










 Interesting WW1 Richborough photo in this guide

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.