Sunday, 8 October 2017

Ramsgate Harbour about 1880 photo and a bit of sketching in Canterbury today

This photo showing the old Foy Boat Tavern, Moses and Deveson’s Sail Loft with Ramsgate fishing smacks is one of my favourites. I have published it online before although I can’t quite remember when, but no apologies for that.


It should expand quite a bit when clicked on but here is a detail that I cropped out as it is difficult to tell what photos will look like on the internet until you have actually clicked on the publish button.


I did a bit more to my watercolour in Saint Anselm’s chapel in Canterbury Cathedral, the issue here is that it isn’t like a photograph but is painted using the facility I have to revolve my head., so it has a different vanishing point when I look to the right of me to the one when I look to the left or in front of me. Joining this up and making the parts of the cathedral seen through the arches look further away is a bit of a learning curve.

I then toddled off to Chocolate Café as I thought a pot of Yorkshire tea and a chocolate muffin would help with my perspective and sketched the people who sat in the window facing me.


A bit a scrunched up A5 sketch as two seats and three people as one of them finished their dink changed to someone else as I was sketching, the business of getting people in good light facing you, the right distance away from you while sitting somewhere to sketch where you can see the paper is the difficult part.


A lot back issues of Bygone Kent magazine in the stock that went out in the bookshop on Saturday, so here is the link to the photos of them http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/hello-is-this-planet-earth-in-bookshop.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note comments that may be libellous, comments that may be construed as offensive, anonymous derogatory comments about real people, comments baiting internet trolls, comments saying that an anonymous comment was made by a named real person, boring comments and spam comments, comments in CAPs will be deleted. Playground stuff like calling real people by their time stamp or surname alone, referring to groups as gangs, old duffers and so on will result in deletion. Comment that may be construed as offensive to minority groups is not allowed here either, so think before you write it, remember that the internet is a public place, that it is very difficult to be truly anonymous and that everyone who uses it leaves a trail of some sort. Also note the facility to leave anonymous comment will be turned of during periods when I am unable to monitor comment, this will not affect people commenting who are signed on to their blogger accounts. When things are particularly difficult on the commercial spam front I may turn comment moderation on for periods.

If you feel that someone has left a comment that is offensive and directed at you personally please email me (link on the sidebar) asking to have it removed, you will need to tell which post and the date and timestamp of the offending comment. Please do not reply to the offending comment as I will assume you continuing the dialogue as meaning that you want the comments left there.