Thursday 23 November 2017

Some thought on old local prints, painting, Margate, WC and shops

I bought a few local pictures today’ they were all framed and I have just taken a few snaps of some of them with my phone. The quality won’t be good as the glass gets in the way.
I think this one is a watercolour, probably done between 1950 and 1980 attempting depict Ramsgate in the 1800s and based on looking at older pictures. 

this one says on the back that it was guaranteed to be over 100 years old in 1973, which is when I assume it was cut out of an old guide book, hand coloured and framed. 


With this one the firm that cut the print out was good enough to stick the relevant page from the guide book on the back and put their name to their guarantee.  

This one I think has come from London Illustrated News, partly because of the size 

Having bought the pictures and some local history books I went off to do some Christmas shopping at Westwood. I don’t go to the out of town shops very often and as this was mostly stocking filler shopping it was the cheaper gifty shops I went to. There are several of these at WC mostly fairly recently opened, as big shops go they didn’t seem to be very busy, and probably no as busy as the same shops would have been were they in Ramsgate town.

 On to The Greedy Cow in Margate, where they do a named tea (P.G. Tips) and a good light lunch. I strongly recommend the Greedy Cow which has a good relaxed atmosphere

 I did a quick sketch out of the window

I think after a few attempts I could probably sketch Margate Museum in watercolour so that most people who knew it could recognise it.

a few Margate Old Town photos mostly out of the window, this is the link to them

This is the link to the photos of the books that we put on the shelves yesterday 


A new shop about to open here in King Street Ramsgate, which is becoming more multi-cultured, something that makes it more pleasant.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.