Monday 5 February 2018

1930s Ramsgate Pageant pictures - 1930s Margate pictures - Eliot’s Waste Land – Thanet Between the World Wars

Saturday's visit to Turner Contemporary means I am still a bit focused on The Waste Land, this is mostly due to trying to read it again, failing to understand it again and trying to form a mental picture of Eliot in Margate just after WW1, just after the scenic railway opened.

Perhaps if I quote Eliot talking about art it will help you understand my confusion a bit.

“The only way of expressing emotion in the form of art is by finding an "objective correlative"; in other words, a set of objects, a situation, a chain of events which shall be the formula for that particular emotion; such that when the external facts, which must terminate in sensory experience, are given, the emotion is immediately evoked.”

See what I mean? Sounds deep and meaningless to me, anyone know what it means?

The pictures are Ramsgate 1934






I suppose the time between the world wars fascinates me for all sorts of reasons particularly the rapid social and artistic changes that I think were the result of WW1.

Here are some Margate photos from 1934











No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.