Monday 19 March 2018

Pictures Ramsgate and Margate + abit of text

 Pictures may expand if clicked on. I think this card must have been in the sale as it was posted around the time Westcliff Hall was finished (it opened in 1914) and it shows no sign of of eiter the hall or the construction work.

 Interesting to see from this one that the rustic fence on the sides of the bridge over the waterfall had been replaced with an additional Pulhamite outcropping.

 A before and after here

Pier yard car park in 1907 is what it says on the card, although I had previously assumed the building in the foreground right were demolished in the 1890s, note the Alexander before it was rebuilt and opened in 1907.

A bit hard to miss with its red and stone coloured greyed tile and bricks, with terracotta details. Three storeys and attic. Recessed ground floor, with cornice to 1st floor supporting 4 Doric pilasters; cornice to 2nd floor supporting 4 Ionic pilasters. Modillion cornice to ramped parapet with urn finials, and central pedimented loggia/portico with 3 supporting piers to attic with 2 glazing bar sashes behind (lower leaf plate glass). Stacks to left and to right. Originally crowned by a dome. Double sashes with glazing bars to upper leaves to left and right on 2nd floor, and 2 bars to left and to right on 1st floor, with moulded and keyed semi-circular arches on both floors to recessed balconies, only the upper with balustrade, with sashes to 2nd floor and French doors to 1st floor. Large segmental bow on ground floor with plate glass windows; central boarded doors. Stained glass recessed windows either side.

That's local history for you, lots of conflicting information. 

I walked through Ellington Park today, not many photos as it was too cold to fiddle about with stuff



After my visit to the Nayland Rock Hotel the other day, see http://michaelsbookshop.com/turner2018/id10.htm which takes you in to a bit of a maze in the wasteland, it keeps cropping up in my dreams.


So next some historic pictures of The Nayland Rock
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.