Tuesday 29 May 2018

Turner Contemporary, Animals and Us, not a review just a first impression, Margate Meltdown Bank Holiday photos

It’s been a pretty full Bank Holiday weekend for me, no time for a blog post, I did a bit of sketching in Canterbury and a fair amount of just meandering around in Ramsgate and Margate, sometimes taking photos.

So what about the Animals and Us exhibition? I think the high point was somewhere anywhere – not sure - while in the exhibition I realised I had been transported a long way from where I though I was. Does that make sense? Will it happen to anyone else? But yes I suppose I was in Margate, but something clicked and I sort of wasn’t, perhaps because some of the works of art seem to have a high level of impact.

Margate is a place of contradictions and extremes, a busy High Street full of empty shops contrasted with shops that seem to be very upmarket and expensive. Margate Meltdown Bank Holiday means the town was full of motorcyclists too.  

In the Animals and Us exhibition, I certainly felt for more than a moment "transported" so perhaps art reached some purpose.
the relationship between people and animals
definitely worth going to see
Makes you think
Anyway as I get time I will go back to this exhibition and try to say something more comprehensible about it.

The pictures on my camera's card for the weekend, these two links mostly being Ramsgate and relating to the harbour lock gate and bridge removal for repairs and a couple of visiting tall ships.

Link 1

Link 2

The next two links are Margate yesterday, including a few of the exhibition.

Link 3

Link 4

I am reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami at the moment, so I am already getting strange writing on the real world, along the lines of "Do not adjust your mind; reality is at fault."

This is an example, photographed in Wetherspoons Ramsgate on Friday

I have enlarged the sign on the, dare I say door? Nope probably best stick with wosisname for the moment.

While not absolutely, way to the left, I am becoming progressively more interested in the increasing amount of fake local history appearing on social media. This seems to be connected with copying pictures from the internet and republishing the pictures on another part of the internet, often without the text that the person who owns the original picture put with it. The writing on the back, date, place. Sometimes even old fake news is now appearing as new fake history.

My own take here is that the internet has changed so much since I first started using it for local history around 20 years ago, that now nothing can be taken as real, even if it looks like a door, it may very well be a wosisname.

 So if you take a few old local postcards it may well be that the writing on the back is becoming more important than the picture on the front. Just because it says Ramsgate 1724 onit it doesn't mean it wasn't painted at a much later date.


This is the link to the books that went out in the bookshop on Saturday 

Sticking with the fake history for a bit, I suppose that there are a great many people who prefer to view the past through rose tinted glasses. So there may be a sense in which, like fake news, fake history is inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.