Wednesday 15 August 2018

Things are not always what they seem

Ramsgate Canadian Hospital, well it was in WW1


Ramsgate lift and for a moment there 


until you realise it's this lift and that happened to it.

Sorry about this, especially if you are better at this than me.

Ramsgate Council, that is Ramsgate Municipal Borough Council that ran Ramsgate after 1884 and before TDC

This is the inner basin of Ramsgate Harbour drained in 1912, different system then, no pontoons so it was possible to drain it regularly. Nowadays draining it would result in millions of pounds damage so I imagine they are relived to get both the mitre and flap gates back in without an expensive incident.
like running the sluices

This, and no I'm not expecting you to recognise it, is part of the aftermath of one our most expensive incidents the 1953 storm. What you can see is the replacement of several square miles of land and several miles of railway track that was washed away by the sea when the sea wall failed beyond The Minnis

Manston is back on the agenda with the acceptance of the DCO application, thousands of pages of it and I guess with this type of consultation where the public are affected but our elected representatives are bypassed in the decision process which seems to be mostly public consultation. I does beg the question. Should there be some independent body producing some independent assessment for those of us who either don't have the time to read the documents or can't understand them?

I for one am not looking forward to reading another raft of documents.

 Here in Ramsgate some of King Street between the bookshop and the town centre has been closed by the police, this doesn't seem to have had much impact on business in the bookshop.
  This is the link to The Isle of Thanet News article I haven't bothered with the other local news websites which now open like arcade games, making the actual article very hard to follow.


 Next some Margate police photos

This one is dated 1881


Anyone understand this on which seems to say William Walker is permitted to act as a motor bus until December 1921.

I did get out this evening so this is the link to the pictures, nothing much unless you can't get out for a walk yourself 



1 comment:

  1. 'Begging the question' is a logical fallacy in which the writer assumes the statement under examination to be true. In other words, begging the question involves using a premise to support itself. Consequently, Michael, I do not follow yoy point about having an independant body.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.