Friday, 21 August 2026

Photos of Ramsgate and Margate during the 1950s and The Second Sex book recommendation

 Photos of Ramsgate and Margate during the 1950s. So with the three Ramsgate photos I am guessing the date based on the clothes people are wearing and the lights on the clock House, which would either be for the festival of Britain in 1951 or the coronation in 1953. These are part of the batch of old Ramsgate photos that I bought over the counter here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate a couple of weeks ago. These were from the relations of someone who had just died. The two Margate ones are from the Mick Twyman collection and these were handed to me on a CD by Andy Barrett who used to own the Belgium Bar. He gave me instructions to publish them on the internet so people could see them. The two Margate photos are labeled the naming of the North Foreland. That would be the name of the lifeboat I assume. The fallen lighthouse 1953, that would have been caused by the Great storm of 1953. This was a tidal surge storm where the low barometric pressure related to the storm causes the sea to rise.







Next a video about the book The second sex  by Simone de Beauvoir with instructions to get the Ebook for free online. This book is probably the most important feminist classic and forms the basis of feminism, to me it’s a must read for both sexes. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.