Saturday, 19 September 2026

A few Ramsgate and Margate pictures and some late 1800s Ramsgate adverts

. I think the first picture is a Sanger's parade with the photo taken looking up Ramsgate High Street. The next one is Margate looking at the jetty, probably late 1950s or early 60s. The next one is obviously the winter garden's. The next one taken with Ramsgate sands station wall in the background, that is in front of where the bottom of the lift is now. Then some adverts. Next Ramsgate High Street. Next Margate and possibly decorated for the coronation. The next one of Margate jetty says it is the 1877 regatta. Then the beached whale in 1914. Then Margate High Street in 1905. Then the old Ramsgate post office which was roughly next to where the post office is now. The whole post is a bit slapdash, done between customers where I work here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate so at least you know it's me and I won't have fiddled with the pictures using AI.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.