Saturday, 22 August 2026

Ramsgate Pleasurama and seafront

 I think far and away the best picture here is the Thanet District council brochure. It shows Pleasurama and seafront when it was still open. Particularly note the road and the parking in front of  Pleasurama, you can also see the beach huts and cafe on the raised platform on the beach. One way or another Ramsgate has lost all of its beach huts. I'm guessing the photo was probably taken in the late 1990s before the 1998 fire obviously. I would imagine the picture was taken by Simon Moores, the local aviator, councillor and blogger who unfortunately died in an aircraft accident. I do still publish his book available here at Michael's bookshop in Ramsgate. That was first published in 2005 and called Thanet From the Air. So the aerial photographs in the book show Ramsgate in 2005 as you can see from the photo of the inside of the book. I will also publish the photos on my Thanetonline blog where they will probably expand a bit better than they do here on Facebook. I've added a couple more pictures from the same time one just before the fire and one of the fire.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.