Friday 25 February 2011

Royal Sands Pleasurama Development, first part definitely going up and early Tombstoning in the Ramsgate Harbour.

A barmy February day in Ramsgate I have just received an assurance from the developer that the columns for the superstructure are going up, so I went to have a look.
As you can see they are, not pile driven as we first thought, not pile bored as we heard later, but poured concrete foundations.

There have been so many sets of plans that I am not entirely certain which they are going to build it to, this looks like the ones that have a very narrow two way road at the back.
This is a detail from this set of plans.
Thanks to one of my readers for adding extra lorries to show the problems manoeuvring right next to the cliff façade support pillars that project out from the cliff.

As the building will be about the same height as the cliff I also see some problems gaining access for cliff maintenance.
There was also one of those "only in Ramsgate" funny scenarios, as you can see from the picture people were jumping into the harbour, and when I turned round after taking the pictures, there were the two inevitable security guards heading up the harbour arm to stop them. Both the security guards were eating ice creams and I am pretty sure that one of them was a chap who not so long ago was jumping of the harbour wall himself.

Here are the rest of the pictures http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/211/id5.htm

6 comments:

  1. Movement at last!
    Thankyou for putting up the pictures...all of which serve to remind me that a return visit to Ramsgate is overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think the last paragraph of Bob Bayford's epistle to the masses in todays IOTG can go without comment. He wants us to talk to him rather than the press - that only works if he answers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat yes but what the movement is about is a bit of a mystery, it’s a bit hard to tell if they are putting up a few concrete posts to fulfil the technicalities of some agreement with the council or really starting to build something.

    Andrew I think a problem here, from my point of view is that as a fairly prominent blogger I fall somewhere between being a member of the public and being the press.

    I suppose that if he really does want to talk directly to us he would have to start a local blog, talking to 150,000 of us individually could be a bit tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did Ramsgate manage to keep red telephone boxe?. They could become the last tourist attraction in the town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous 08:21 - don't tell Margate or they'll want them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These "security guards" eating ice creams are crew members from one of the windfarm boats. Very unlikely they were jumping from the wall :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.