Friday 5 August 2016

August either 1899 1900 1901 1902 or 1903 and a ramble.

So there you are from the pamphlet I dated the other day circa 1901

Roughly the same view today.






A few photos of a boat going up on slipway No1, well at the moment that would be the only slipway. this is Morton's patent slipway I think it was built in 1838 and was originally powered by steam.

The main local news items this week have been associated with Dreamland and Pleasurama, one being Margate’s main leisure funfair site and the other Ramsgate’s. In both cases Thanet District Council went to considerable efforts to get control of the site and in both cases they seem to have now lost control of the sites. I know that it’s easy to be wise after the event, but I think we have now entered a time when seaside towns need a leisure facility and I think the best way to protect this facility from, land banking, residential apartments, unscrupulous developers, etc is for the council to own and subsidise their operation.

I would say the seaside town economy is too fragile for any other solution.  

 Not much time for sketching this week, my bookshop is busy at the moment, keep an eye on the bookshop blog to see what's comes in http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/ I did start the sketch above and intend to go and do some sketching at Broadstairs Folk Week which i think starts tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.