Saturday 13 August 2016

Rev-up in Ramsgate tomorrow, Pride in Margate today + 2 1868 pictures of Margate + today’s Margate watercolour painting embarrassingly small + photos

13th today and when I got to Margate at about 7.30 am, well it’s not like Ramsgate, the café culture isn’t buzzing away at that time of day.

Fortunately the Sands Hotel was open, so breakfast on the balcony, it was a bit windy when I started and from where I was sitting in the shade I could see loads of people basking in the sunshine.


I think this watercolour painting would have been ok, but the wind speed increased and I got too cold.




Off to the shops, my star buy being two hand coloured 1868 prints of Margate, I will do better copies when I get them out of the frames.



These would have come from booklets published by firms like Rock & Co, printed in black and white (steel engravings) the image was scratched on a piece of steel, later the booklets were cut up, the prints hand coloured and framed.


On to Turner Contemporary for lunch and a disappointingly small watercolour of Margate.

I had put my pink shirt on in anticipation of the Margate Pride event and realised it was setting up outside Turner Contemporary I also realised from the No. 13 on my table that I had ordered my lunch, so I had better stay put, so only photos through the window – sorrow.    





















Rev-Up, vide http://www.ramsgaterevup.com/ with people getting their old thumpers out, so should be worth going.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.