Tuesday 27 September 2016

Another Ramsgate Tourist Attraction Gets Removed and a minor ramble

I don’t think any of the Thanet tourist attractions were more cost effective than the heritage pontoons. The way the worked was that people paid reduced mooring fees to keep heritage vessels opposite the café culture.


I wasn’t an easy place to moor but the boat owners put up with the problems of having there boats there so we could all enjoy them.

There isn’t an alternative use for this part of the harbour as it lacks the security and facilities for pontoons there to be used in the ordinary way. 


Back in 2010 the council decided this wasn’t such a good idea and told the owners of these boats they would have to pay almost full mooring fees so off they went.
Well now the council have removed the pontoons altogether, they seem to be saying too expensive to maintain, although frankly trying to contact the council to find out about this didn’t go too well as I just got put through to a phone that no one answered.

There is of course the foi request route which is expensive for the council and time consuming for me so I haven’t bothered to pursue it.



Work on the Royal Victoria Pavilion seem so be going on at a pace, as far as I can ascertain the asbestos removal is now complete and contractors are removing the inside. 

A note here the Pav which was first built in 1903 as been gutted inside several times and also had a major fire plus numerous minor ones. 

The inside is basically modernish buildings built inside the outer shell. Here is the link to the pictures I took on the inside http://thanetonline.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/pictures-of-inside-of-royal-victoria.html   

The Pleasurama site is still deserted and the most recent cliff repairs starting to sprout vegetation, it’s difficult to know where this one will go, it still looks like a land banking operation to me. I can’t see any reputable developer starting work there without a flood risk assessment and a proper assessment of the cliff, both in terms of how safe it would be for people to live under and in terms of how close anything can be built to it to allow for economic cliff maintenance for the life of any development there. 

1 comment:

  1. Michael

    Shame about the Heritage Pontoons, but they haven't looked in particularly good condition for sometime. I suspect that this is another one of those ideas where it was fairly easy to get the initial capital funding, but any maintenance and repairs would have to come out of revenue - not easy when the Port and Harbour, taken together, are reported to be making a loss. Sad, but a problem that seems to common, not just in Thanet, but across the country and certainly in the parts of Spain and the USA that I've visited recently.

    At least the Pav seems to be moving in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.