Saturday 2 August 2008

Thanet Earth

With the new books in stock on the history of Thanet farming I have had occasion to talk to some of our farmers, although most of the farming in Thanet now is in the hands of two large companies where the bottom line of the balance sheet is their only concern, we still have small tenant farmers who are prepared to put work and money in to benefit their land, even when no financial gain is obvious.

What they have to say about Thanet Earth I found very interesting, my view up to now had been yes pretty hideous, but a lot of unskilled jobs will be created, so I was essentially for it.

So here are the points that are changing my mind.

Food is becoming more expensive demand exceeding supply, we could run out of staples like potatoes, however the three crops Thanet Earth intends to grow peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers are not in short supply all are available very cheaply and unlikely to run out or become expensive, so the venture may be an economic failure.

Sighting it on top of a hill removing the topsoil from this prime agricultural land (one chap I spoke to called this an act of desecration) has been done in such a way to completely ignore the land drainage and the proximity of the road, during the winter storms flooding and road closures are likely to be an ongoing problem.

So anyway I said what about the jobs for the locals, the answer I got was, are you joking have you ever worked in a greenhouse in the summer months, the only people who will are migrant workers.

Do we really have enough water to do this, has everyone forgotten the drought so soon, will they be allowed to pump the aquifer so dry that it becomes contaminated with seawater?

What none of them could understand, is why when the council gets involved in projects on agricultural land don’t they first consult the local farming community?

The picture comes from Lewis’s 1736 history of Thanet, which I publish as an inexpensive reprint of have an original copy of in stock.

7 comments:

  1. Michael,

    One of the free papers this week (Thanet Extra, I think) has a snippet where a Thanet Earth spokesman says intially they'll 'employ overseas workers as they have the necessary skills'. After that, (when?) they'll take locals. Anything to do with the planning application in for 51 static caravans for Bradgate Caravan Park to be sited on agricultural land?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know few locals that will work here, but thats mostly because the 'underclass' in thanet would not do a good days work if the could get out of it. Bring in the migrant workers they may improve the blood lines of some of our neanderthal residents. (Not everyone you understand, just the lazy bu**ers

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Farmer that pointed out the problems over working continually in greenhouses in the summer, no slouch said he really didn’t think many people over 25 would physically be able to stand the heat. In most situations green houses form only part of a farming operation so that people only have to spend a part of their working day in them.

    But I think the main points here are that this type of intensive greenhouse farming uses proportionally much more water, something that we don’t have enough of in the southeast and we are heading into a world food shortage while at the same time destroying prime agricultural land.

    I am also very concerned that the environment agency obviously failed to pick up on the flood risk, the main road has already been closed once because of this development.

    With the local farmers saying to me that they don’t think the operation is likely to be commercially viable, what will be left there if it isn’t.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This project will be a real bonus to Thanets economy, even if no locals worked there, as the work force would spend money locally, just living, be it food or books.

    As the rest of the farming fraternity are being negative, It sounds like envy, 'why didn't I think of it' syndrome. They can always get their money from selling their fields to property developers and convincing central government we need more houses. (oh sorry HMG already say that)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 9.58 I am talking here about the small tenant farmers trying to battle a living like me with rising rents an unhelpful and unimaginative council, these people can’t sell their land to a developer, as they don’t own it.

    But most importantly this didn’t have to be done on prime farmland it is an industrial use under the thin guise of an agricultural building, the first thing they did was to remove the topsoil the farmers greatest resource, now and for future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep seeing in about 20 years time a desolate place with skeletal remains of the greenhouses in a barren landscape. I won't be around to see it happen as I am aged. I do hope I am wrong.
    I do see the point of flooding worries though. They are very real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are any of those leaving comment here aged 16 and seeking work in Thanet for the first time? Pick up a local paper and visually search through the situations vacant column. There are only professional vacancies advertised -nothing for the unskilled or inexperienced. Try contacting Connections and see what employment opportunities are available - nothing whatsoever. The Devil finds work for idle hands, and the responsibility for this lies with Government [both Labour & Conservative], who have created 'The Underclass' in Thanet and nationally. The young are without hope, and when removing the hope of eventual self improvement, then we may always expect the inevitable consequence of drug and alcohol abuse; anti-social behaviour; and rising crime. It's not that 'The Underclass' won't work - they can't find employment, and feel they have no worthwhile place in a society where they are labelled, rather than helped by the rest of us. Any possible scheme locally to transform this situation, with a possible chance of creating employment, gets my vote.

    We all complain about farmers selling off fields for development, but how many of us buy our vegetables in the local farm shops, rather than supermarkets? How many are prepared to pay higher prices at the checkout? If you were too faced with a choice of bankrupcy or to sell off fields to keep the viability of your business - what then would you do? Do you think it's an ideal situation for farmers to sell off their assets for short term financial gain - I don't think so!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.