Saturday 23 August 2008

Ramsgate Marina Lift Demolition

Earlier this week I was asked to find out when the Marina Lift was demolished, I consulted with Terry Wheeler whose book, The Ramsgate Lifts, we have in stock price £2.25, if you want a copy posted to you I will have to charge postage unlike our own publications which we send post free to uk addresses.

The marina lift was opened in August 1905 and demolished in 1970 when a green metal corrugated structure was erected there to cover the lift escape ladder, many people wrongly assumed that this structure was a replacement lift.

Click here for pictures of the demolition of the lift the news paper cutting is from the East Kent Times January 14th 1970 Thanks to Terry for letting me copy them.

1 comment:

  1. Aghhhhhhh!

    How could they? This was the nicest looking one :(

    The 70s was not good for historical architecture!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.