Friday, 30 March 2012

Quality secondhand paperbacks, a booksellers tip.


Yesterday it being my day off I meanders around Thanet mostly buying books from the local charity shops for stock in my bookshop.

People are always asking me what sort of books I want to buy, because granny has died or they are downsizing and a great many of the books that people want to sell are ordinary sized paperbacks.

Now at the moment you can buy most paperbacks secondhand on the internet from Amazon and most of them are listed with prices starting at 1p this means that when you add on the Amazon postage they cost £2.81.

In order to balance this out and ensure that I have a good stock of books I tend to price the more common paperbacks at anything between 99p and £2.50 to ensure that I will be cheaper than my main competition.

The paperback titles that I never seem to gat enough of I generally price at £2.99 or £3.50 in the hope that a proportion of my customers will buy them cheaper online and I can maintain a reasonably good stock.

This inevitably means that I can pay more for these ones when people come to sell them, so I though a picture of the paperbacks that I selected from the thousands in the local charity shops would be helpful to give some idea of what I call a quality paperback.

Classics feature in this as do uncommon titles by authors that are normally very common, like Agatha Christie, anyway if you expand the picture of the paperbacks I bought yesterday which I paid about £60 for it should give you some idea of what I mean.        

I would guess that they will sell for about £200 over the course of about a year and the added costs will be my petrol, parking and of course most of day doing what I call work for want of a better name. 

1 comment:

  1. I will one day manage to get over and buy some books.

    ReplyDelete

Please note comments that may be libellous, comments that may be construed as offensive, anonymous derogatory comments about real people, comments baiting internet trolls, comments saying that an anonymous comment was made by a named real person, boring comments and spam comments, comments in CAPs will be deleted. Playground stuff like calling real people by their time stamp or surname alone, referring to groups as gangs, old duffers and so on will result in deletion. Comment that may be construed as offensive to minority groups is not allowed here either, so think before you write it, remember that the internet is a public place, that it is very difficult to be truly anonymous and that everyone who uses it leaves a trail of some sort. Also note the facility to leave anonymous comment will be turned of during periods when I am unable to monitor comment, this will not affect people commenting who are signed on to their blogger accounts. When things are particularly difficult on the commercial spam front I may turn comment moderation on for periods.

If you feel that someone has left a comment that is offensive and directed at you personally please email me (link on the sidebar) asking to have it removed, you will need to tell which post and the date and timestamp of the offending comment. Please do not reply to the offending comment as I will assume you continuing the dialogue as meaning that you want the comments left there.