Friday 28 March 2014

Friday ramble


I am trying to get back to sorting out my book on the Ramsgate fishing smacks and popped into the sailors church in Ramsgate to try and get some reasonable photos of the pictures of them in the church.


As you see usually operated by two men or two men and a boy, with much of the hauling done with a steam winch, hard work but rewarding.


Market day today, which is Ramsgate’s busiest shopping day, I had a fairly busy day in my bookshop not helped by having the rubbish and recycling collection.



As you see from the picture, which was taken after the rubbish had been collected, the pedestrian route from the centre of the town to my shop isn’t easy.
A sign of windfarm relocation 
in this case relocated to Mostyn Flintshire

I don't think secondhand booksellers although scarce are an endangered species like red-throated divers. Oddly enough you see a lot of red-throated divers in Ramsgate Harbour.

RAW 42 from Hazeleigh Prebble on Vimeo.

On to the business of the council destroying Little Oasis Crazy Skate in Cliftonville words fail me at the moment.

Here is their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BunkerDIYProject I supose now the council have destroyed it there isn't much that can be done.

On the health and safety front if you expand the picture below you will notice a basket attached to a small crane
 on the left of the picture, getting into Ramsgate harbour under sail requires similar judgment to skateboarding 
in cases of misjudgment the smack, smacks into the harbour wall the basket was for fishing out any survivors.    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.