Sunday 3 July 2016

Watercolour Painting of La Trappiste from Chocolate Café in Canterbury, an encounter with a stag beetle.


Here is the painting of La Trappiste from Chocolate Café in Canterbury, I know it’s a bit strange, one of my attempts at a distinctive painting style, perhaps. But very much a case of looking at the reference photo and trying to work out what I should have done differently. Looking down on people at an angle is a bit of a tricky one, so any suggestions gratefully appreciated, don’t be shy on the criticism front.


I should point out that I don’t paint from photos, so only really look at any reference photos after I get home from where I have been paining, so the criticism is mostly a task for me now. I wonder if I should have put in more detail around the edges of the paining outside of the focal area and stuff like that.


On to the stag beetle, this is the male, pincers purely decorative, he is totally harmless, I had never seen one before hence the photo, the penny is for scale as he is the biggest beetle in the uk.  



A very pleasant day all round, buying books for my bookshop and for me, including a visit to the marvellous Chaucer Bookshop, one of Kent’s finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.