Wednesday 16 January 2008


Well its time for an update on the Pleasurama situation I expect some of you are aware that work has started on the cliff face, so I have been down there and taken a few photos and chatted with a few of the chaps in hard hats.

I have been assured that the huge scaffolding will be bolted to the cliff façade at regular intervals, I think they were impressed by yesterdays wind.

I think that probably the most interesting thing I discovered is the lack of communication between the people involved, the men supervising the cliff repairs have been unable to contact the firm that is due to start building the access road nor do they know what the base line of the cliff i.e. the level of the car park. No they haven’t got the plans nor have the been asked for an assessment of how close to the cliff it will be safe to build.

Well anyway I telephoned the firm that is due to start building the access road and gave them the phone number of the chaps supervising the cliff repairs. It was a bit of a surreal phone however since it was me that first put the architect in touch with the environment agency officer in charge of the flood and storm assessment for the site I have become used to this sort of thing.

I think it is unlikely that anyone has done a feasibility study on how close the building can be to the cliff façade, however nothing would surprise me with this development.

These chaps you understand are very competent, they are masters of the sucking in sound through the mouth when something expensive is going to happen so I said to them 5 stories the ground floor will have to be at least 6 meters including ceiling and floor to let emergency vehicles in, and the other 4 at least 3 metres including ceiling and floor above

Funny thing they can add up and everything they even know how high the cliff is well I told you before so how does it goe in school when I was little how do you get 18 meters into 14 this leaves remainder 4 meters over the cliff top or under the sea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.