Tuesday 22 April 2008

Old postcards of Ramsgate

I have just posted another lot of postcards from the time when it really did snow at Christmas instead of Easter, what has gone wrong now? Ellington Park, Wintersoke Gardens they are still there and we all have a duty to look after them and teach our youth to look after and enjoy them.

Here may be the crux of the problem once we had a high diving board and in the summer we had people employed to ensure its safe use, now in the summer we have security guards employed to stop our youth from going up the harbour wall to dive off it.

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous photos. Studying them, with so many people about, why were none of them rock-climbing? Admittedly, it was the place I broke my bones but nonethless great free fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous. As a lad seem to remember climbing Madeira Drive falls after being thrown out of the Red Lyon, then repeated the action quite recently and my friends had a coronary ok he’s aright now but I wonder sometimes about the youth of today. I sat in the kitchen the other day with a couple of local dignitaries and said hands up who hasn’t jumped off the harbour wall, well it went a bit…. Well no one put their hands up

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to me (as a youngish chap) that we as a race seem to be slowly paralysing ourselves with the fear of "what if?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. My God! Where did it all go so horribly wrong???

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.