Friday 16 September 2011

Ramsgate and Margate arts this weekend


I think tomorrow (Saturday) is the big day for both towns, the new exhibition “Nothing But the World of Youth” opens at the Turner Contemporary in Margate and the Firefly Fiesta is on in Ramsgate.

Starting with “Nothing But the World of Youth” this is one I am looking forward to, with work by lots of artists including Henry Moore, Peter Blake, Sarah Lucas, Andy Warhol, Mark Leckey, Jim Lambie and David Hockney.

Photography is not allowed at this exhibition, however I will do what I can to cover it on the blog, perhaps I will take my sketch pad along as it would seem unlikely that art would be banned in the gallery.


Exhibition tours
Free, just turn up
Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays 11-11.30pm

The times seem a bit late to me with the gallery now closing at 6pm, perhaps this is just another example of contemporary art that is a bit elusive, or perhaps it is a good old fashioned typo.

Anyway if you get to the gallery after 6 tomorrow and find that everyone has gone home the Firefly Fiesta is on in Ramsgate from midday until 10.30pm which should just give you time afterwards to pop over to Margate and see if the Turner contemporary are giving a guided tour.

More information about the Firefly Fiesta here http://thanetpress.blogspot.com/2011/09/firefly-fiesta-on-saturday-17-september.html 


Neither the Thanet District Council website nor the councils vist Thanet website are making much of either event, nothing on the TDC website which has the following events on its website homepage:
St. Laurence Church Harvest Holy Communion
St. Laurence Church Harvest Barn Dance
St. Laurence Churchyard Tour (October)
St. Laurence Church Quiz Night

The best you can say about the visit Thanet website http://www.visitthanet.co.uk is that you can find both events if you already know that they are on.


Considering that the whole of the regeneration of Margate hangs on the success or failure of the Turner Contemporary and the Ramsgate event poster says the event is produced in association with TDC it makes one wonder what they think they are up to.

I suppose it would be funny if we weren’t all paying the bill for this sort of nonsensical behaviour.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.