Tuesday 18 September 2012

Technological impasse


The last few days have seen some of my techno lumps fail, the most personally significant being my phone pad thingy, known here as the RaspBerry. Once upon a time when this sort of thing happened one took it back to the shop where it either got mended or one bought a new one, now a combination of the cost of repairs and the pace of technology means a different approach.

Even if you could buy one for a reasonably competitive price in a shop, you wouldn’t be able to effectively try before you buy, so the ghastly mixture of looking around phone shops and reading internet reviews had to be gone through, before getting the best deal online.

Being somewhat decayed, with sausage like fingers and a need for reading glasses I went for the largest phone with a reasonable camera that would fit in my pocket. I also stuck with the Android operating system that I have become used to, the choice was a “Samsung Galaxy Note” and I have spent the last 24 hours doing little else other than trying to master the thing. 

One of the most difficult aspects of this is publishing blog posts from it, now mastered, it is one of the best silicone based writing mediums since the stone tablet.

The Android operating system lacks the fundamental business of underlining spelling mistakes which is irritating and the main thing it falls down on, all I can promise is to try and make corrections when I get to an ordinary computer where any dubious typos appear underlined within the blogger editor.

The picture is of one of my earlier RaspBerries 

1 comment:

  1. What you need Michael is a variant of the raspberry called the raspberry pi which is intended as a cheap computer (sub £30) to get children interested in real programmming.
    They have sold like hot cakes but you need to spend another £50 on accessories if you dont have them lying around.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.