Monday 14 February 2011

Kennedy House Fire Ramsgate, pictures

Tower block fire in Ramsgate at around 5pm today, it looks as though this fire broke out in a ground floor flat of the fifteen story block of flats.

Some people have obviously been injured I would think smoke inhalation although I am not certain.

Here is the link to the pictures http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/khfr/ I don’t think this a serious fire I would think one flat gutted but not the whole tower block.
Update from Kent Fire and Rescue

15 February 2011
Fire and Research Investigators are examining the cause of a fire in a block of flats in Ramsgate.
Firefighters were sent to the sixteen storey building in Newcastle Hill at 4.48pm yesterday (14 February) following reports of a fire in a first floor flat.
Initially, four appliances from Ramsgate, Margate and Thanet were sent to the scene, but fire crews soon called for support from other resources, including a height vehicle, from Canterbury, Westgate, Deal, Herne Bay and Eastry.
While one team of firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire, a second team evacuated the first floor flats.
Crews were joined by their Ambulance and Police counterparts.
Thanks to some aggressive firefighting, crews managed to contain the fire to the affected flat, extinguishing the fire by 5.36pm.
Firefighters then spent a further hour ventilating the smoke - logged building and ensuring that it was safe for them to leave the scene.
Four people, including two elderly adults, suffered smoke inhalation and were treated at the scene. One of the casualties - a woman - was taken to hospital after falling eight feet from her flat. Her injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.
Residents living on the first floor of the building stayed with family and friends overnight as a consequence of the fire, but are due to return to their flats shortly.The cause of the fire is not yet known, but is being investigated.

10 comments:

  1. Just as well it was not accompanied by an explosion.

    Such an event did it for Ronan Point in the 1960's and so ended the craze for building tower blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am certainly glad I don’t live in a tower block Readit, just as well it was a cold day with the windows closed and the fire brigade arrived quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i live 2 mins away and didnt even know till i got told

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Michael,

    You have got a spam invader. Though I have to confess, I rather like the picture of 'Jane'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in these flats on the second floor, but im on holiday at the moment, my flat faces directly onto the womans flat, i do hope my flat and contents are okay, but more importantly i hope my neighbour is okay, and i feel for her at the moment knowing all of he belongings are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-12466810

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not much I can say by way of comment on this post, obviously I hope the people effected will recover OK.

    John I missed the comment you are referring to, I think bloggers automatic spam filter must have zapped it.

    14.29 I too hope your home is OK and please pass on my good wishes to your neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. same flat on fire today Kitchen fire in Ramsgate flat
    LocationNewcastle Hill, Ramsgate
    AttendanceThree appliances
    Less Details ...
    DetailsFire crews have been tackling a kitchen blaze in a first floor flat at a 15 storey building. No-one has been hurt and the cause is not yet known.

    ReplyDelete
  9. same flat on fire today Kitchen fire in Ramsgate flat
    LocationNewcastle Hill, Ramsgate
    AttendanceThree appliances
    Less Details ...
    DetailsFire crews have been tackling a kitchen blaze in a first floor flat at a 15 storey building. No-one has been hurt and the cause is not yet known.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.